East Plains United Church
Our History, East plains United Church

CHURCH NEWS

Electronic recycling date Sept. 23
 7th Aldershot Scout Group is holding an electronic recycling event on Saturday Sept. 23 9:00am-4:00pm; one day only. There will be 3 bins for electronics, steel and non ferrous metals like copper and aluminium. The bins will be located in the Dovercourt parking lot. PDF

Sunday Bulletin of September 24, 2017
 Garth Smith will be our guest speaker. His topic "W5 + one; the invitation.  PDF

Arts and Crafts Sale Nov. 4
 Our 44th Annual Arts and Crafts Sale takes place this year on Nov. 4. Over 50 Artisans, Silent Auction, Next to new books, Luncheon, Granny's Bargains and Bake Sale. 9:00am-3:00pm. PDF

Two Events on Climate Change.
PDF

Harold Wells Sermon from Sept 10-2017
 To read the Martin Luther Sermon   PDF

East Plains Co-op PRESCHOOL.
 begins Tuesday September 5 for Toddler and Preschoolers. Programs ages 18 months-5yrs. Call 905 681-0233 or go on the internet to: eastplainspreschool.com

SOLO Sept. 16 7:30pm
 The Southern Ontario Lyric Opera (SOLO) will be presenting "La Boheme," on September 16 at the Burlington Performing Arts Centre at 7:30pm. Our own Sabatino (Sam) Vacca will be conducting.

Vista Orders.
 Future order due dates are September 3 + 17.   PDF

Hamilton Conference.
 Click the link for the latest news from Hamilton Conference. Hamilton Conference website.

A complete list of activities is available on the Calendar page.

OUR HISTORY

Our history dates back to 1843, where, "class meetings" were held in an old building without a minister. The people met together for the inspiration of study and to express their own religious feelings. Until approximately 1858, these Methodist classes would have been visited every two or three months by a "saddle-bag preacher"

By 1892, the older frame church had been removed and the corner stones of a new church were laid amid great rejoicing, and the church was dedicated to the worship of Almighty God. Tragedy would strike 15 years later, when the beautiful brick building was burnt to the ground in 1907

With great energy and enterprise the East Plains congregation raised the new and better structure out of the ashes of the former", as quoted in the Christian Guardian of December 18,1907. "Long before the opening day almost enough had been subscribed to cover the entire cost of building. The balance was easily made up on the opening Sunday without urgent appeal."

After ending an association with the Appleby community in 1922 (another rural community east of Aldershot), East Plains would eventually evolve from a church with a primarily rural congregation in a quiet farming community to a city church. Following the Second World War, the community attracted a lot of young families, and attendance at East Plains United Church rose dramatically. A new facility, built around the former sanctuary, was erected and opened with a service on May 27, 1956. Thanks to a successful building campaign, the $140,000 cost was covered by 1960 !

Shortly thereafter in 1963, Peart Hall, a 2-storey Christian Education wing, was built and commemorated to Ross & Bartol Peart. This structure houses our current Sunday school, and includes a full-service kitchen, gym/theatre, meeting rooms and a Church Parlour